The choice of a book cover can make or break the book. A good book cover is the difference between a reader picking up your book or moving on to the next. In this article, we will go over how to choose the right cover for your book.
Even though it might be tempting to skip this step, don’t! Choosing the right cover for your book is the next most important thing after writing the book itself. Your potential reader is going to be drawn in by the cover first before they flip to the back, read the blurb and then open the pages within.
A cover is a great way to entice people to read your book. When you find yourself lost on a sea of covers, how do you know which one will draw them in?
Having a mediocre or badly designed cover will turn off your reader even before they get to the actual content in the book. A poorly designed cover will automatically make them think that you have cut corners in your writing too. So although you it may cost you a little bit more, we suggest you get your book cover professionally designed, even if you are self-publishing your book.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when designing your book cover:
1. Keep that reader on the hook with a compelling and eye-catching cover.
2. Make sure to get your book covers professionally designed by a professional book cover design company who care about the final result as much as you do.
3. Think about the colours you are using. Different colours evoke different feelings. The colours used in a sci fi or fantasy novel will usually be very different to those used in a business book or memoir. A romance novel will have warmer tones as opposed to a dystopian novel which may use a dark palette.
4. The use of the right font is just as important on your dust jacket as the story you tell within the book. If you are going to use a font that resembles a horror movie poster on your healthy eating self help book, it certainly won’t work.
5. Using a fitting image or photograph that is eye catching is a must. Our eyes are accustomed to using the Z pattern when scanning things to read. A skilled designer will use the right design to create the most eye catching design that works well with the title.
If you would like to discuss cover design options with our experienced and creative in house designers, get in touch with us here: